OUTSPOKEN: Jennifer Ehidiamen Lists 20 Things Every Woman In Her 20s Must Know.
- Love and honour your mother. Learn from her mistakes. It will save you a lot of headache in your thirties (30s) and beyond.
- You are more talented than you’ll ever know. You don’t need to sleep with your Boss/supervisor to get a promotion at work or better grades at school. Burn late night candles, put extra time to study and practice until you master your skill. Hard work still pays well.
- Women can build a strong support network. Don’t let few ladies with “Pull Her Down” syndrome discourage you from cultivating true relationship with your female friends.
- When a man you meet for the first time babbles about how much he earns working for an oil company and how rich he is, that is a red flag. He is either a married smooth-talker who just wants to sleep with you or he is childish. Walk away from deceit.
- Make your own money. Start small. Maintain a stable bank account. It will keep you out of trouble.
- When you meet your Soulmate, don’t forget to wear your most priceless ornament- submission and humility. But while waiting for him, don’t cling to any man to rescue you. Some men these days are also seeking for who will rescue them.
- Know your body. Look at yourself in front of a full-length mirror at least once a week, naked and after clothed. Know your body and how it works.
- Life is a gift. But to revel in it, you must be ready to put a lot into nurturing your gifts/talents and skills. Start early.
- Teenage ended at 19. Clocking 20 means doing away with childish behaviour. But it does not mean you should forget to have fun.
- Learn the basic skills and let yourself grow- from how to keep your underwear clean, cook, socialize, and network to how to drive a car.
- Don’t do drugs. It kills. Read books, its fortifies. Dance as often as you can, it liberates your spirit, soul and body.
- Learn to laugh at yourself. It is a good way to build a healthy self-esteem.
- Eat healthy. Learn to cook for yourself. Don’t rely on noodles alone. The cooking skill will be useful in future.
- Don’t give up when you fail. Try again. And again. Then, try another legit way. Don’t give up on education/learning.
- Fear of the future is just that- a fear. It is a state of mind you must learn to tame. Don’t let fear pull the carpet from under your feet. The Holy Bible tells us that God has not given us a spirit of fear but of power, love and a sound mind.
- Let go of past hurts. You cannot move forward if you keep looking back. Holding on to bitter experiences and regrets will stale your future.
- Learn to exhale, love deeply and be kind to others, especially those of low estate, and the lowest of low.
- You are beautiful the way you are. Don’t compare yourself to others.
- Partnership builds bridges. Don’t ever forget that.
- Prayer is the master key. Have faith in God and always have the courage to use your voice wisely. Dream bigger.
Bonus: Enjoy the highs and lows that come with being in your 20s but don’t be afraid to grow older. Live life to the fullest and don’t forget to smile!
Writer: Jennifer Ehidiamen is a Senior Reporter and Media Trainer at Global Press Institute (GPI). She is reporting on health and development in Nigeria with a grant from the International Reporting Project in Washington, D.C. http://internationalreportingproject.org.
<—- Thanks for reading, please share before you leave
You want to be Outspoken on Femme Lounge? Get in touch